Thursday, March 2, 2017

ADEMHALEN PREMIERE MARCH 8TH, 5 DAYS TO GO

landscape  Nickerie
NOTE 3, 5 days to go  

All these 16 years I visit Nickerie I keep on taking pictures of the landscape, the cattle, the rice fields. I love the space, the skyline, the fields. So much space, yet so difficult for so many lives to find space.  

Was Invited for the ABC program. Was early , stayed in the car , listening to the music of Raj Mohan. Five minutes before time I walked into the radio station. They already began.  It was okay I guess. 'Don't make it like a theme of Nickerie, that is a too big word for it' I said on a question of  what are the typical Nickerie themes. I think it just looks big because of the scale, but in fact, suicide, domestic violence, women rights, human rights, equality all sound to me universal issues.  A journalist called me, 'I liked that sentence you said', he told me. 

Rehearsals in the afternoon. I think for the whole time I was holding my breath. It is always such a strange experience to hear what you have written.. and see people play it.  I connected so much with what I saw and what I knew was the feeling I wanted to express. I felt still. Alida said. 'girl, relax, it is just work'.  And it really is. Hard work. Her input and the value of her directing this piece is what any playwright would wish for. It is like the rice on the field, first a small seed under water, finally rising... and rising.  


CCS with Kavita, Afiba, Ilhaam and Evita , giving my feedback 
Engagement. Alida  asked me to also give my feedback to the players which I did. And they related to what I told them. 

Spirit. Like the spirit.How great to hear and see them play what is written and not written, and with such dedication.

Cooling down. After these rehearsals a cooling down was what we needed. We went together for coffee/tea and talked. At home I  Made myself another tea, some sweet Chai and called my daughter on the other side of the ocean. Alida first went for a walk before heading home. It is a strong energy, this energy. Women energy. 



No comments: